First practice in UK to offer true colour ultra-widefield retinal imaging

Yet another first for Peter Ivins Eye Care! We are delighted to announce the delivery of our new Zeiss Clarus 500 ultra-widefield, true colour, super high definition retinal camera. We are the first practice not only in the United Kingdom but amongst the first in Europe to offer this system. This technology represents a £70,000 investment by the practice and aims to maintain our mission statement of delivering world class eye care and an outstanding patient experience.

The importance of an ultra-widefield fundus exam

You may see ‘free retinal photography’ advertised on television by many of the optical chains. Whilst there is no doubt traditional retinal photography is useful, what the advertisements do not mention is standard retinal photography only images between 30-45degrees of the retina, which is approximately 20% of the surface of the retina. The other 80% is ignored and out of view. Our new Zeiss Clarus 500 allows us to image 200 degrees of the retina, approximately 85% of the retina. Some of the most harmful eye disease, such as retinal tears, ocular tumours and diabetic retinopathy occur in the far periphery of the eye, making them difficult to detect. Symptoms often do not manifest in the early stages and vision may not be affected until there is significant and permanent damage.

Who should consider ultra-widefield retinal photography

The ultra-widefield fundus exam is beneficial for all types of patients and of all ages. It is particularly important if:

  1. You are myopic (short-sighted) due to the increase risk of retinal tears and detachments.
  2. You are diabetic due to likelihood of diabetic retinopathy
  3. You suffer from hypertension (high blood pressure) due to potential for small retinal haemorrhages
  4. If you have been told you have freckles or moles at the back of the eye (choroidal naevus) due to the increase risk of ocular tumours

By documenting the health of the retina periodically, our optometrists can compare images side-by-side and detect subtle changes that may otherwise go unnoticed and can be the hallmark of early changes in your eye health. The Zeiss Clarus 500 combined with our Zeiss Cirrus 5000 OCT, Zeiss HFA3 Visual Field Analyser, Oculus corneal topographer and Zeiss Forum system allows us to offer, what we think is the best eye examination available anywhere.  This combined approach allows is to image the eye from front to back, take incredibly accurate measurements which can them be compared over time to diagnose conditions at the earliest possible stages.  Our Eye Care for Life programs allow routine use of all of these imaging systems for a small monthly fee.

How long does it take?

The procedure is very quick, taking only a few seconds per eye. It is very similar to traditional fundus photography whereby you place your chin on a rest, the operator lines the machine up while you look at a green star.  A flash of light illuminates the retina and allows the picture to be gathered.  You are left with a mild after image similar to a photograph with a regular camera with a flash, which clears within a few seconds.

How much does it cost?

If you are a member of any of our Eye Care for Life plans whether Essentials, Preservation or Intensive true colour, ultra-high definition, ultra-widefield imaging with the Zeiss Clarus 500 is complimentary and included in your plan.

We also offer the check free to children 18 years old and younger.

If you are not an Eye Care for Life member the procedure costs £39 and can be paid on a pay-as-you-go basis. We will be offering the service to everyone at their Eye Care for Life appointments and NHS eye examinations.

More information about the Clarus 500

Optician magazine recently commissioned and published an article about the new Zeiss Clarus 500 ultra-widefield retinal camera written by our optometrist Craig McArthur. Copies of the article can be found in our reception area.


If you have any questions about the Zeiss Clarus 500 please contact our optometrist Craig McArthur at

If you would like to make an appointment for a widefield retinal check you can do so by calling our reception team on 0141 943 3300 or CLICK HERE to use our live online appointment diary.

Recent Posts

Craig wins Myopia Management Award at the UK Optician Awards

Scotland’s largest Tomato Glasses stockist

MiSight 1 day range extended to -10.00D

How do Essilor Stellest lenses work?

Glaucoma Clinic – Craig McArthur to speak at Global Optometry Summit

Myopia control expert lectures at global conference

Stellest now available at Peter Ivins Eye Care

Myopia expert contributes to Optometry Today: A guide to myopia control

A guide to myopia control: Craig contributes to Optometry Today

Scotland’s first Oculus Myopia Master